Monday, February 18, 2013

Blue "Drops" Blanket

I finished my "Drops" blanket for Traci, who is due March 24! I love this girl - we had the same due date, the same husband's name, the same baby's name...it's so fun!

I found this beautiful pattern on Pinterest (ok...I love Pinterest, what can I say). It comes from a website that I mentioned in an earlier post, and for some reason, it is in their group of patterns called "Drops" patterns. Anyway, the name stuck with me and I will now always refer to this particular type of blanket as my "drops" blanket.

I should have realized this was going to be such a huge undertaking. You have to make 20 individual squares, much like a granny square blanket, and sew them all together. I have never made anything like that before, so to stay on the safe side, I slipped stitched the squares together with my hook. It turned out with a beautiful ridge, but it really pulled the squares together more than I wanted it to. Unfortunately, the blanket does not lay as flat as I would like because of it (you have to really smooth it out on the floor to get a good look at it), but I think it still turned out alright.

I will also say that in sewing together squares, don't do it the way I did it! I would combine two squares together and cut the yarn! Then I would add another square and cut the yarn! DON'T DO THIS!!! If you want to save yourself any sanity, sew all the way through the row and then cut the yarn. It might seem weird, but trust me, it will save you a lot of time in the end when you're weaving everything in.

But all in all, I think the blanket turned out really well. Small, but well.

I used size G hook and Caron Simply Soft yarn, Country Blue. Beautiful yarn, but rather annoying that it came unraveled so easily.

Here it is! I hope she enjoys it!















No comments:

Post a Comment